The HTC One S is the average adolescent of the One ancestors but it just ability be the brightest and best searching too. Central the attenuate metal case is a abundance chest of new technology – the accuracy abaft the adorableness in this section of smartphone alchemy.
HTC use not one but two avant-garde processes to actualize the metal carapace of the One S. The micro arc blaze uses 10,000V of electricity to about-face the aluminum apparent into ceramic, which is said to be 5 times stronger than aerospace aluminum or stainless steel. That creates the atramentous accomplishment of the phone.
The additional advantage is a added acceptable anodized aluminum, but with a aberration – it has a unique, attenuate acclivity from average to aphotic grey.
Whichever bodywork you choose, the 7.8mm of array is even throughout – no cheating with bumps on the back. The HTC One S feels startlingly attenuate in the hand.
The HTC One S Pros
- Stunningly thin at 7.8mm, ceramic or anodized aluminum finish
- Quad-band GSM and dual-band 3G support
- 4.3″ 16M-color capacitive Super AMOLED touchscreen of qHD resolution (540 x 960 pixels); Gorilla glass
- Android OS v4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich with HTC Sense 4.0
- 1.5 GHz dual core Krait CPU, Adreno 225 GPU, Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8260A chipset
- 1 GB of RAM and 16 GB of storage
- Beats audio enhancement
- 8 MP autofocus camera with LED flash; face detection, geotagging and continuous shooting
- 1080p video recording @ 30fps; Snapping photos while recording video
- Wi-Fi b/g/n and DLNA
- GPS with A-GPS
- Stereo FM radio with RDS
- Accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity and ambient light sensors
- Front facing camera with video calls
- Standard 3.5 mm audio jack
- microUSB port (charging) and stereo Bluetooth v4.0
- MHL TV-out (requires a MHL-to-HDMI adapter)
- Smart dialing, voice dialing
- DivX/XviD video support
- HTC Locations app
- HTCSense.com integration
- HTC Portable Hotspot
- Splendid audio quality
- Office document editor
- 1650mAh battery
- 25GB of free Dropbox storage for the first two years
The HTC One S Cons
- Pentile display
- Non-expandable memory, just a single internal storage option
- No dedicated camera key
- microSIM only
- Battery not user replaceable
- Camera interface makes framing videos pretty hard
- Incapable of 3G video calls without a 3rd party app
There was no accommodation with the internals either – the two Krait cores in the new Snapdragon S4 chipset affiance abundant added ability than the old Scorpion cores. Early benchmarks appearance it could even battling a cloister Cortex-A9 CPU.
Going by specs alone, HTC accept created a accurate admiration buzz with the One S. Here are the pros and cons, if you can yield your eyes off the pictures.
The non-expandable anamnesis is either a non-issue (you get 2GB for apps and 10GB for storage) or a deal-breaker, depending on how you use the phone. You do get 25GB of chargeless Dropbox accumulator for 2 years though.
With the Beats logo on its back, you’d anticipate the One S would allure music buffs. But then, there’s no Beats angle included in the box and those are rather cher to buy separately. You still get the Beats audio blaster software, but you get a accepted headset, so you ability wish to get your own.
Still, with the latest Android version, a abundant bigger Sense UI, an 8MP camera that does 1080p video and full-res photos accompanying (plus, it has connected cutting and added air-conditioned stuff), the HTC One S is one of the best-equipped Android handsets we’ve laid our easily on lately.
Let’s pop accessible the box and see what’s central afore traveling aback to the hardware. There’s a lot to be said about the software too, so let’s not decay any added time and jump beeline in.